Skip to main content

Granary, Saureggen near Ebene Reichenau (Carinthia)

Number: 51
Built: 1716
Year of translocation: 1968

This two-storey granary is an outstanding example of local craftsmanship. It is built of logs with interlocking corner joints. The lower/upper courses have protruding ends, while the ends on the upper/lower courses are flush with the wall and have bell-shaped notches. The upper storey protrudes by the thickness of one log creating a barrier that prevented mice and other vermin from reaching the upper floor. It also allowed the mounting of a decorated board.