Skip to main content

Cider cellar, Kalchberg near St. Bartholomae (Styria)

Number: 25
Built: 1599
Year of translocation: 1976

Cider was the common drink on the farms of western Styria. Many farms therefore had their own cider press and cellar where the cider barrels were stored.

This building is made of hewn logs which are set on a rubble foundation and has a steeply pitched shingle-covered rafter roof. On the first floor is the large cider press. The freshly pressed cider was piped straight to the casks on the ground floor.