Skip to main content

Säuerling barn-byre farmhouse from Einach (Styria)

Number: 40
Built: 1581
Year of tranlocation: 1963

This two-storey log building, originally set high above the Murtal valley, combines both living quarters and barn under a single roof. The sections abut and are joined by the roof at the wall plate level. With its gable-side entrance, the building is a typical example of Salzburg and Carinthian vernacular architecture and dates back to the late High Middle Ages. The roof truss over an extension bears the date 1751. A more recent addition has been made in the barn area.
The Säuerling farmstead has preserved many of its original features. The spacious parlour/kitchen has a large double hearth and small windows at different levels, exuding a medieval atmosphere. Smoke from the hearth escapes through two flues in the gable end of the house. There is also a chamber with a tiled stove, bedrooms on the upper floor and a store room in the attic.
The chamber room housed a cobbler’s workshop. Such workshops were still found in farmhouses in the region up until the mid-20th century.
The cattle barn contained stalls for the cows and horses and a free stall for calves, as well as sheep pens and a pigsty.
The farmhouse has a steep purlin roof covered with larch boards. The rafters are supported by trusses.