Skip to main content

Barn from Tarsdorf in Innviertel (Upper Austria)

Number: 56
Built: 1812
Year of translocation: 1974

This impressive barn was once the barn of a Vierseithof, a farmstead which, like the Vierkanthof, is built on a courtyard plan. It has buildings on three sides and a screen wall with a large gate closing off the complex.This barn is an impressive example of a style of construction where ornamental elements are not merely decorative but a successful response to functional requirements thus creating a harmonious whole.A basic wooden frame, composed of vertical and horizontal members, is supported by braces shaped like St Andrew’s crosses. Timber cladding provides protection from the weather.

The low-pitched roof is covered with straight-split shingles.